Thursday, March 26, 2009

High School Transcript

In my experience, one of the things that causes the most anxiety about homeschooling through high school is the thought of creating a transcript. I must admit I shared that anxiety until I had to create one ... then I found it wasn't nearly as intimidating as I had thought!

The first step in creating a transcript is record keeping ... and it needs to begin when your student is a freshman ... not when they reach their junior year. Keep track of your student's academics, extracurricular activities, employment, volunteering, etc...

The second step is confidence ... the belief that as the homeschool parent/teacher, you are the best judge of what constitutes a credit for your student.

I found that assigning credits to Sonlight programs was fairly logical and not difficult at all. For example, the year our oldest did Core 400, here are the credits I assigned:
  • American Literature - 1 credit for English (the American Lit portion of Core 400)
  • Sophmore Composition - 1/2 credit for English (Creative writing portion of Core 400)
  • American History - 1 credit for History (History literature in Core 400)
  • Civics & Government - 1/2 credit (Government title in Core 400)
Obviously Sonlight is not an accredited agency, and thus does not assign credits to their curriculum materials. However, I as the homeschool teacher have the freedom to do just that!

If you're interested in a copy of a sample transcript, please email me and I'll be happy to send one. More on high school homeschooling to follow!

1 comment:

Homeschool Transcripts said...

We absolutely loved Sonlight especially when we started homeschooling our boys. We recommend it to all homeschooling parents, especially when they are just starting out. Like you say, it is also very well designed to determine high school credits.
Blessings,
Lee